Monday, January 21, 2013

Carpe Diem #102, Sweet Memories



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

During the last months, from the start of Carpe Diem, I have shared some sweet memories with you. For example: sweet memories of my relatives, but also of my work as an oncology nurse. I have a lot of sweet memories and maybe today I will share some of those memories with you.
Today we share haiku on 'Sweet Memories'. I think that every one of us has sweet memories, so I look forward to your haiku for today's prompt.

In December 2011 Wonder Haiku Worlds , a website about haiku, published a first Anthology of haiku shared on that website. It was a surprise to read my own haiku in that worldwide Anthology titled 'Spasms of Light', they used my haiku of course after asking me to. I love to share a few haiku written by me which were selected to become published in this Anthology:

pollard willows
surrounded by the river -
autumn rains


Credits: Pollard Willow

departing
cherry blossom petals fall
without sound

shimmering
between colored leaves
a pebble

Next to these three, seven other haiku were selected for this Anthology. Another sweet memory I have is the holidays with my mom, dad and brother. We had wonderful holidays together. My brother and I used to cycle to our destinations and it was always a joy to be with him. My brother passed away in 1995 at the age of 35. I lost him to lungcancer. I couldn't accept that ... how could it be ... my brother, the only sibbling which I had died at such a young age. He was several years older as me and he always said 'I will always be the oldest of us two'. He was four years older. I had a tough year when I became 36 ... I now was older than my brother ... that was very strange to me.

Of course I have sweet memories of the birth of my children and grandchildren and of the day I married my princess. I have a lot of sweet memories and I hope you have too.

the day I married
sweet memories I cherish
finally got my princess

the scream of a child
in the middle of the night
my son is born

in loving memory
I cherish a picture at my heart -
my older brother


Fresias


grandma has passed away
her sweet perfume of fresias -
Ah! that sweet scent

All sweet memories ... and every new day will bring new sweet memories ... have fun, be inspired and share your 'sweet memories' haiku with us here on Carpe Diem.

This prompt will stay on 'till January 23th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next Carpe Diem Special by Shiki later on today around 10.00 PM (CET). I have chosen the following haiku by Shiki:

harukaze ni o wo hirogetaru kujaku kana

the peacock
spreading out his tail
in the Spring breeze





11 comments:

  1. Your haiku you posted today are extra special...the cherry blossoms...the stone...and others...amazing...I feel I am getting closer and closer to writing a real haiku.
    Intense emotion, Kristjaan, you brought your brother's memory to us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely haiku shared here. I'm not sure I can meet up to your memories. But I've tried to make it sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah those irst screams of a newborn... how well I recall. Thank you for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post of loss and sweet memories ~ so glad to hear you had a good holiday ~ and that your haiku is in an anthology that is exciting!
    So sad to lose a brother and such a young age ~ I lost my first husband, first love when he was 24 ~ not easy ~ yet life goes on and it can make one a better person if they learn from 'loss' ~ You have ~ You are blessed ~

    (A Creative Harbor) ^_^ on Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I join again after a long break !
    hope I was missed ;)
    Coz i sure read all the haiku you write and wished I had a moment spare to write too ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing your sweet and fond memories with us ^^ very nice to know something about you through haiku

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the memories you share are powerful and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Kristjaan - a life rich in sweet memories. Thank you for sharing them with us here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful prompt... I love your haiku set Kristjaan...

    A query... I am unable to post my link please check.
    http://unshakenthoughts.com/2013/01/22/memories-of-days-gone-by/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I posted two links you can remove one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful set of "sweet memories"!!

    ReplyDelete