Friday, June 21, 2013

Carpe Diem's Tan Renga Challenge #3 "the rainy season"



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy to read all of your completions of the Tan Renga last week. I have really read awesome second stanzas and I hope this new episode of our Tan Renga Challenge will bring that joy again.
For this episode I have chosen a haiku by Buson, one of the four greatest haiku masters next to Basho, Issa and Shiki.


Haiga by Buson

shishoku shite roka toru ya satsukiame

the rainy season

a paper lantern in hand
I walk along the verandah

In his 3rd Volume of Haiku, Blyth says abthis haiku by Buson, the following:

It is deep night, and the rain sounds louder now than in the day-time. The dripping does not cease. Along the dark verandah walks the poet, with slow and silent steps, holding a paper lantern in one cold hand. There is in this verse something of what Keats expressed with more effort and wordiness in "The Eve of St. Agnes":

[...] and the long carpets rose along the gusty floor [...]

But Keats is almost entirely objective, whereas in Buson, who is among the most objective of haiku poets, there is something subjective. Even when the poet has passed through it, the corridor remains palpitating dark, alive in its length; the wind and rain are still heard though there is no one to hear them.


Credits: Rainy Season

A wonderful haiku by Buson I think and now it is up to you to write the second stanza (7-7). Copy and paste the first stanza (5-7-5) as given here into your post and include your second stanza to complete the Tan Renga. Have fun !!!

I will give the first stanza of this Tan Renga here again and I include my second stanza.

the rainy season
a paper lantern in hand
I walk along the verandah             (Buson)

a gust of wind blows in my face
scatters the light I hold                 (Chèvrefeuille)

This Tan Renga Challenge will stay on 'til June 29th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post the new Tan Renga Challenge after the closing time of this one. (!! The linking Widget for this episode of our Tan Renga Challenge will open at 4.00 PM (CET) !!)

PS.: I have published our prompt-list for July. In this month the Special episodes are all haiku written by Jane Reichhold. So this new month of Carpe Diem will be a joy.


Namaste




8 comments:

  1. Wonderful completion you make... I can really see the darkness outside the range of the lantern in your words. I choose to complete it different (of course it wouldn't be fun otherwise)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about renku.. (haiku no renga) thought I do one more comical one here as a comment.... :-)

    the rainy season
    a paper lantern in hand
    I walk along the verandah

    after drinking too much wine
    fall asleep in flower bed

    ReplyDelete
  3. the rainy season
    a paper lantern in hand
    I walk along the verandah

    candlelight shadows flicker
    lighting my watery world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful completion of this Tan Renga Tigerbrite. Would you please link up to this Tan Renga Challenge episode?

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  5. very beautiful ..
    late as i am , wills till link in some time !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. by way of nimue found yr meme... so happy to participate...

    ReplyDelete