Saturday, June 20, 2015

Carpe Diem Utabukuro #2 theme: summertime

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Last Saturday I started a new feature here at our Haiku Kai. In this new feature you have no prompts or something it's just for sharing your favorite haiku or tanka with us all here at our Haiku Kai and put them into the "poem bag" or Utabukuro.

For this episode however I have a theme. That theme has to be found in the shared haiku or tanka and this week I love to ask you to share your favorite haiku or tanka about "summertime". This favorite haiku can be from a modern haiku poet or a classical haiku poet.
As you have found your favorite haiku or tanka than please tell us why you have chosen that specific haiku or tanka and than write an all new haiku or tanka inspired on the haiku or tanka of your choice.

For this episode of Carpe Diem Utabukuro I have ran through my archives and found the following haiku which I wrote back in 2012 as spring was departing and summer almost started. This is a cascading haiku about sunflowers. I like sunflowers, because I associate them with summer, even when the sun is not there through the sunflowers I can feel summer.

Sunflowers - Vincent Van Gogh
hopeful new day
available in yellowish
a great sunflower

a great sunflower
desirable to bright sunlight
bows its head to earth

bows its head to earth
a possible new flower opens
promising dreams


© Chèvrefeuille

And here is my all new haiku inspired on this cascading haiku written by myself:

bruised sunflower
it bowed its head to deep -
departure of summer


© Chèvrefeuille

Not as strong as I had hoped, but I like the opposite scene ...

This episode of Carpe Diem Utabukuro is open for your submissions at noon (CET) and will remain open until next Saturday June 27th at noon (CET). Have fun!


2 comments:

  1. I could not follow SiggiofMaine's link...and, Forest Tinker, you posted exquisite examples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the line "hopeful new day" runs into "available in yellowish" - like an ironic twist on an advertising slogan. It's a very unexpected image :)

    ReplyDelete